This veal pizzaiola is a much loved Italian winter dish. The rich sauce can be served on top of pasta and roasted vegetables.
Veal Pizzaiola is a meal that I grew eating as a kid. My mum would serve it with mashed potatoes and green vegetables. It was a family favourite then, and it is still a winner for the family today. My version is pretty similar to Mum’s one, though I prefer to serve it without the mashed potato – my favourite sides are sweet potato wedges and broccoli.
For another winter dish and also a family favourite, try a Tomato, Vegetable and Lentil Soup.
- 600 gram (1.3 pounds) grass fed veal schnitzel steak (the pieces were really thin)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tin organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to a large fry pan on medium heat.
- Add veal, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, thyme, pepper, salt and chili flakes (in that order). Cook for approximately 10 minutes or until veal is browned.
- Remove veal from the fry pan, place on a plate and cover with foil.
- Cook sauce for approximately 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve veal with sauce on top and with your favourite vegetables.