Thinly sliced steak is seared and then simmered in a pizza style sauce, allowing the meat to absorb the umami rich tomato flavors.
- 4 steaks, very thinly cut
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ? cup green olives, pitted and sliced (120g)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (375g)
- 1 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock (250ml)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ? cup dry white wine (80ml)
- Fresh basil leaves, torn, for serving
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper, to taste
- Preparation: Begin by seasoning the steaks with salt and pepper.
- Searing the Steak: In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add the steaks. For steaks that are ¼ inch thick, sear for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side or until they reach your desired doneness. Remove the steaks and set them aside on a plate.
- Building the Sauce: Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Stir in the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in the white wine to deglaze the pan, ensuring to scrape any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Let it simmer and reduce for about 2 minutes.
- Tomatoes and Aromatics: Incorporate the cherry tomatoes and cook until they begin to soften and wrinkle, approximately 5 minutes.
- Flavor Enhancements: Introduce the sliced olives, capers, tomato paste, and oregano to the skillet. Stir well, ensuring the tomato paste fully integrates into the sauce.
- Simmering: Pour in the chicken stock and stir everything to combine. Allow the sauce to simmer gently for about 15 minutes. This will help all the flavors meld together, resulting in a deeper taste.
- Reintroducing the Steak: Gently nestle the steaks back into the skillet, ensuring they’re submerged in the sauce. Let them warm through for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serving: Transfer the steaks to plates, spooning the sauce generously over each. Garnish with torn fresh basil leaves and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Main
- Method: Pan frying
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: italian, steak, meat, stew, tomatoes, pizza, marinara sauce, olives, weeknight meal