You can adjust the flavor profile of this salad by experimenting with different vinegars and herbs.
By Michelle M. Winner
This delightfully fresh and raw corn salad is salt-free and full of flavor. Balsamic vinegar glaze is the secret ingredient. Versatility: you can change the flavor profile from Mediterranean to Asian by switching the vinegars and herbs.
- 4-5 ears of fresh corn, take off cob
- 3-4 med. carrots, diced small
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced- seeded
- 1 cup champagne, yellow or red cherry tomatoes
- juice of one lemon
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic glaze, available at grocery
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves , sliced fine
- fresh ground pepper
- Wash and chop all vegetables as directed above.
- Toss all into a bowl and mix
- Season to taste
- Place in fridge until chilled.
- To Serve: place single servings in lettuce cups. To make a meal, serve on lettuce and top with steamed shrimps or poached chicken
- Substitutions:Omit balsamic glaze for rice wine vinegar and add some sugar to balance. Omit the basil and use 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro.