A flourless almond, rum and dark chocolate cake that is perfect for anytime snacking.
By Rinku Bhattacharya
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- ¾ cup of sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
- 1 medium sized potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dark rum
- ⅔ cup (about 6 oz) grated dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao)
- ⅓ cup of sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup of maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 335 degrees, grease a 9 inch round cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the butter, ground almond,sugar and the potato and beat until well mixed. Add in the egg yolks and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until softly peaked.
- Add the vanilla and the rum, with the chocolate into the butter and sugar mixture, fold in the egg whites and pour the mixture into the cake tin. Place the cake in the center of the oven and bake for about 40 minutes or so until almost set.
- Mix the sliced almonds with the maple syrup and pour over the cake and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes, until the almonds are just a little darker.
- Serve the cake warm or cooled.