Quick and dairy free, these brownies will go down very well on a grim and rainy fall day.
By Shuchi Mittal
I usually don’t blow my own trumpet…but these were absolutely delish. My obsession for chocolate, combined with the excess stock of coconut did indeed create a beauty. Quick and dairy free, these brownies went down very well on a grim and rainy NYC day. Go on, give it a try, it will not disappoint.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut (or coconut flakes)
- ½ cup brown/raw sugar
- 113g unsalted butter
- 50 g semi sweet chocolate pieces (8-10 pieces)
- 3 tablespoon sweetened cocoa powder (I just used drinking chocolate)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Melt the chocolate, cocoa, butter and sugar over bubbling water, stirring continuously.
- Once melted, remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- When the mixture is cooled, stir in the vanilla followed by the eggs, one by one.
- Mix well after adding each egg.
- Sift the flour to remove any lumps and then add to the mixture, followed by the coconut flakes, milk and salt.
- Do not overmix but fold the mixture so as to make it homogenous. The consistency will be quite thick.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degree C (350 F).
- Grease a baking dish and pour the mixture in it.
- Bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack of the oven, so the heat is evenly distributed.
- Remove when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool, cut into pieces and enjoy!
Shuchi cooks with the heart of a poet. Banker turned chef, she runs the 29. Private Kitchen in NYC focusing on social tasting events, dining experiences and small-scale private events. Using simple & wholesome ingredients, she likes to re-invent homemade Indian flavors into modern tapas & small plates. Her dream? To cook, feed, write, and eventually open her own communal dining cafe - with a published recipe book on the stands.