Try this healthy, make-ahead time saver at your next get-together. Remember to make a little extra for a snack for yourself. You’ll be glad you did.
By Soni Sinha
This salad is great for picnics. No fuss. No mayo or dairy to worry about since it has an oil and vinegar base. I especially like it the next day after the flavors have had time to develop fully.
- 2 cups hard winter wheatberries
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, finely diced
- ¼ cup carrot, finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the wheatberries and broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking until wheatberries are softened but still chewy (about 45 minutes). Drain.
- While wheatberries cook, mix together in a medium-sized bowl 2 tablespoons of the oil, vegetables and vinegar.
- Add cooked drained wheat berries and as much of remaining oil as needed to coat and moisten berries.
- Marinade salad for a minimum of 30 minutes before serving.