You can make this vegan potpie ahead of time and pop it in the oven 30 minutes before it’s time to eat.
By Rachel Swetnam
Sometimes I find it hard to make a meal that everyone will enjoy, especially when it’s vegan. But I strive with every recipe I make to create a dish that is easy, healthy and rich in flavor. This recipe has all three. You can make this potpie ahead of time and pop it in the oven 30 minutes before it’s time to eat.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. italian style vegan sausage, cut in ¾ in. pieces
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 1 T. chopped fresh rosemary
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- ⅓ C. all-purpose flour
- 3 C. vegetable broth
- 1 bunch kale, cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 T. white vinegar
- 1 T. Dry Cooking Sherry
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into florets
- 1 package of crescent rolls or 2 sheets of puff pastry.
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and put in a large bowl.
- Add the chopped onions, rosemary, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stir for 1 min. Add the veggie broth and cook at a simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Add the kale, vinegar, sherry, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing, until the kale is wilted.
- Remove pan from heat and add mixture and cauliflower in the large bowl with sausage.
- Toss everything together to combine.
- Pour everything from bowl into a 9x13 pan or 3 Qt. baking dish. Top with desired pastry dough.
- You can overlap the rectangles or triangles slightly.
- Bake until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.