Simple and quick preparation for a vegan pineapple fried rice, complete with fresh basil, curry, and crunchy cashews.
By Shannon Lim
Big, sweet chunks of pineapple and the rice seasoned so well with curry powder and soy sauce. Fresh basil leaves compliment the seasonings and of course the crunchy cashews are the signature of any pineapple fried rice. You can also replace basil with cilantro and or fresh mint. Try this easy and quick recipe with your leftover rice.
- 2 cups cooked jasmine or plain rice, preferable a day old
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple
- ½ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- scallions cut into 1 inch pieces
- red bell pepper, cut into bite size
- carrots, diced
- ¼ cup cashews
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder (see recipe below)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp ground mustard seeds
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- In a wok, heat oil on medium high. Add cashews and stir till they turn golden brown.
- Add onion and garlic and cook till fragrant or once onion turns slightly pink.
- Add bell peppers and carrots and continue to cook till the carrots become slightly soft.
- Sprinkle curry powder over the vegetables and continue to cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, pineapples and scallions and stir fry on high for another 15 to 20 seconds.
- Add rice & basil and stir till everything is mixed well and the grains of rice are coated evenly with the spice and sauce.
- Taste to adjust the seasoning. Serve immediately with some fresh basil.
- In a bowl add all ingredients and mix well.