This is great chutney to have on hand to add to rice dishes or stir into soups.
By Sowmya Dinavahi
- 3-4 Medium sized roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of oil
- 1 Cup of fresh yogurt
- Few sprigs of coriander leaves, for garnish
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp of urad dal
- 2-3 Dry Red Chillies, Crushed and de-seeded
- 2-3 Green Chillies, Finely chopped
- Heat some oil in a pan, Add chopped tomatoes ,turmeric powder and required amount of salt and cook for about 5-10 minutes until they turn mushy. Switch off the stove and let it cool.
- Heat some oil , Add the ingredients “For Tempering” one by one and fry until urad dal turns brown color. Switch off the stove and let it cool.
- Take a blender, Add tomato mixture and tempering and blend to a smooth paste.
- Add ground paste to yogurt and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves
Sowmya shares her culinary journey and passion for cooking and photography on her blog named 'Messy Kitchen Stories'. Her cooking style is mostly authentic South Indian cuisine and a little bit of Baking.She likes to cook anything and everything vegetarian. Mostly She tries to recreate the magic that her mom creates in her traditional South Indian dishes. Apart from that, If she loves something that she had outside, she cannot rest until she make it exactly the way she had it. She is a native from India but currently residing in Lincoln, NE with her husband.