Topped with fresh strawberries and jalapeños this baked brie is an easy appetizer featuring the season’s produce.
Do you love a great big ooey gooey melting brie as an appetizer? One of my favorite things!! I came up with this recipe thinking of something that would be easy to serve for the 4th of July! I mulled around a few ideas, thinking of a strawberry salsa to finally landing on this recipe for strawberry jalapeño compote to go with the melty delicious brie cheese. Something that the whole family could indulge in or if friends are over too. This Spicy Strawberry Brie is fantastic. With some toasted baguettes this appetizer is a master piece in all its glory.
Usually we back off a bit and clean out a jalapeño of its seeds and white membrane where all the heat is located. I am then usually disappointed in the heat and the jalapeño tastes like a green pepper. So for this strawberry jalapeño compote I made, I used half of one large jalapeño and cleaned out just some of the seeds and membranes. I then gave that a fine chop and added it in with the strawberries, lemon and sugar.
Rich and melty with amazing sweet heat from the strawberry compote this is a winner of a summer appetizer. Soon strawberries will be in abundance, big, juicy and ripe and perfect for so many dishes. Your family and friends will be in awe when you present this jaw dropper to them!!
Spicy Strawberry BrieTara Noland
- 2 cups ripe strawberries large diced
- ½ lemon juiced
- 5-6 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ large jalapeno with some seeds and membranes left intact finely chopped
- Baguette sliced thinly
- Lemon olive oil or regular
- Salt and pepper
- Large brie wheel
- Preheat oven to 350F. Brush both side of the sliced baguette with olive oil and salt and pepper one side. Place on two large sided cookie sheets. Bake for 15-18 min. or until crisp and slightly browned. Remove from trays to cool.
- Place the strawberries, lemon juice, 3 Tbsp. sugar and jalapeno in a small saucepan. Add in a pinch of salt. Bring up to a simmer. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the strawberries. Cook for 10-15 min. After about 5 min. taste and adjust the heat by adding in more sugar. It all depends on how hot your jalapeno was and how spicy you would like it in the end. It does mellow as it is cooled too. Remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve place the brie in a medium cast iron pan or oven proof serving dish. Bake at 350F. for about 10 min. or until soft and melty all the way through, careful that is doesn't burst and get too runny. Serve with the strawberry jalapeno compote either cold, at room temp. or warm and the baguettes.
Cooking, baking and entertaining have been a lifelong passion for me. I started at a very young age to bake and cook for my family. Even attempting many of Julia Child’s recipes as a young teenager and cooking meals for the family or for company. Now I love entertaining and celebrating the holidays. My husband Ken loves being in the kitchen creating right along with me. Our daughter has been doing cooking classes with me for a number of years and also enjoys everything that the kitchen has to offer.