PARTNER POST: May 26 is National Pinot Grigio Day. We’re celebrating with Cavit Wines by sharing refreshing spring and summer recipes that pair perfectly with Pinot Grigio.
Check out how to make these easy, refreshing and summery cucumber bites topped with delicious smoked salmon mousse and paired with Pinot Grigio wine.
Memorial Day weekend is coming up!
It’s the unofficial beginning of the summer season. And I absolutely love everything about summer. The lazy days at the beach, movies at the park, concerts at the Pier, pool parties, and barbecues. And if you are anything like me, ice-cream every day.
So why don’t start the long weekend celebrations next Friday with the first ever National Pinot Grigio Day?!? Cavit Wines is introducing this new wine holiday, and it’s the perfect way to kick off the warmer months to come.
I’m ready to toast with a refreshing glass of Pinot Grigio next to this healthy, laughably easy, and oh-so pretty appetizer. Check it out!
These tasty smoked salmon bites are great for your next summer party or picnic.
They are made with thick slices of cucumbers, cut into a fun flower shape, and topped with a rich and creamy smoked salmon mousse – made with ricotta cheese, a touch of lemon juice and a dash of Dijon mustard. Delicate and flavorful, all at the same time.
I simply love recipes that are fresh, easy and don’t take a lot of time to pull together. Who wants to spend too much time in a hot kitchen whipping up some complicated dish, when you can make this recipe in no time?!
So relax, kick off your shoes, pick up your glass of Pinot Grigio and jump in the fun (…or the pool in my case).
This is what summer should be all about!
Now, let’s talk about the wine without which no party is complete.
Cavit Pinot Grigio was first introduced in the United States back in 1977, from the Northern Italian regions of Trentino, Friuli and Veneto. These locations are not just recognized for their spectacular natural beauty, but also for their soil and climatic conditional that are ideal for vineyard cultivation.
Its balanced character and fruity aroma make Cavit Pinot Grigio a great match for my delicate smoked salmon bites, or any seafood dish really, enhancing its flavor and complementing each other.
- 2 large cucumbers (based on size and how thick you'll slice it)
- 4 oz (115 gr) smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (115 gr) of ricotta cheese (I used whole milk)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup (60 ml) of whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- chives to decorate
- Slice the cucumbers into about ¼ inch (6 mm) thick slices.
- If you'd like, cut each slice with a cookie cutter that is just slightly smaller than your slice, as shown in my picture. This is just to make the dish prettier.
- Alternatively, slice the cucumber lengthwise with a potato peeler in paper thin slices. Roll the slices with one end folded under the roll (so that the filling will stay in place).
- Cut about ¾ of the salmon (3 oz) in really small pieces. Reserve the rest to decorate the top (cut in thin slices).
- In a bowl, add the salmon with the ricotta cheese, the lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Mix with a spoon.
- Whip the whipping cream to soft peaks. Fold into the salmon mixture. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag, with a large tip. I used the Wilton 1M. And pipe some of the mixture on top of the cucumber slices (or into the cucumber rolls).
- Top with a little slice of salmon and a few pieces of chives.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.