Soak the peas over night and the next day it’ll be quick and easy to whip up the protein-packed snack.
By Swathi Iyer
- ¾ Cup Yellow eyed peas
- 1 carrot chopped (approximately ⅓ cup)
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 2 Cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal/ Split black gr
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 11/2 tablespoon of grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 Red chili
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Soak the yellow eyed pea overnight and next day pressures cook them with 2 cup of water. Until 4 -5 whistle or 25 minutes. Drain the excess water using a colander and set aside
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, halved red chilies. When mustard seeds start popping add onion and carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Then add cooked yellow eyed peas, grated coconut and cumin, chili powder and salt. Mix everything and serve warm.
Swathi ( Ambujom Saraswathy) loves to explore cuisines from all over the world, and write about the ones that she and her family enjoyed on her blog Zesty South Indian kitchen. She loves to gives an Indian touch to several of the world cuisine, and has weakness for freshly baked bread. She is also a mom to two wonderful young kids who gives a up or down vote to the food she creates.