This warm gouda appetizer is wrapped in prosciutto and then puff pastry and baked until gooey. Serve the warm cheese topped with pear compote and toasted walnuts for edible bliss.
I have to admit, when the weather becomes cooler, I find myself standing in front of the cheese aisle a heck of lot more than during bikini season. My cravings for a nice block of cheese are off the scales from late September all the way through the end of February. But not to worry, I do have my favorite types of cheese for the warmer weather too, I just don’t devour an entire wheel of it in the course of a single meal.
One of my all time favorites is a nice bit of Applewood smoked Gouda, holy moly yum it’s good stuff.
So for this recipe, I decided to base it off of my other favorite appetizer, a baked brie, then simply change out the brie for the smokey Gouda and, add in some salty-sweet flavors to amp up the flavor, and voila I give you Baked Gouda.
Looking for a twist to your next appetizer? Try this version of Blueberry Baked Brie that I like to make during the holidays.
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- 1 Tbsp unsalted Butter
- ½ Walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry, thawed and rolled out to about a 16 x 16
- 4 - 6 oz thinly sliced Prosciutto
- 1 8 oz round of Smoked Gouda, I used an Applewood Smoked Gouda
- 1 egg, whisked with a splash of water to use as egg wash
- Make the pear compote, click the link above for the recipe.
- While the Pear Compote is cooling, you can toast the Walnuts. In a skillet over medium heat add the Butter and heat until melted. Add in the Walnuts, stirring occasionally and cook for 3 - 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F . Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the Puff Pastry sheet until it is approximately 16 x 16 and about ⅛ inch thick. Any excess can be trimmed if needed.
- Wrap 6 - 8 slices of Prosciutto around the entire wheel of Gouda (it doesn't have to be perfect, just cover the Gouda on all sides).
- Lay the rolled out Puff Pastry on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the Prosciutto wrapped Gouda in the center of the rolled out Puff Pastry sheet, and starting with one corner at a time drape pastry over the Gouda until you have enclosed it.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the whisked Egg Wash over the Puff Pastry.
- Bake in the center of a preheated 400°F oven for 35 - 45 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed.
- Mix the Pear Compote with the toasted Walnuts and spoon over the top of the Baked Gouda and enjoy!
The Walnuts have the best texture and flavor when toasted on the day needed, and stirred into the pear compote just before topping off the Baked Gouda.