Health-up your pizza with whole-wheat, tomatoes, olives and bell peppers.
By Suchitra Vaidyaram
There were days, in my good old past when I was absolutely hooked to pizza. Honestly, if Dominoes were thinking of bringing in some promotion/discount/offers, probably, I would have been the first person to receive that by mail. Now, I try to stay away (sorry, you don’t win a prize for guessing why). With so many alternate healthy options in the market, I realized, pizzas can be done in a healthier way! This is my first ever attempt at making a whole wheat pizza and I have to admit, it doesn’t taste different. It tasted sumptuous and if you don’t overdo the cheese, it can be a much healthier option. For my first attempt, I tried to play safe by mixing whole wheat flour and all purpose flour together. Next time, I might get more innovative and try just the whole wheat. Easy to make and sumptuous to taste, what else can you ask for?
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp quick-rising yeast
- warm water
- olive oil- 1 tbsp
- salt-1/2 tsp
- sugar-1/4 tsp
- Good Pizza sauce-
- Toppings- 2 small onions (sliced), ½ cup sliced black olives, 1 tomato chopped, 1 green bell pepper sliced
- Dissolve yeast in a small cup of warm water and sugar. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes in a corner.
- The yeast would start frothing up.
- Combine whole wheat flour and all purpose flour with salt in a big bowl and make a small well in the middle.
- Pour the yeast mixture and slowly start mixing the flour.
- With the help of warm water knead the flour into a smooth dough.
- Add around a tbsp of olive oil to make the dough smooth and elastic.
- Store the dough in a fresh bowl and cover it with damp cloth. Allow it to raise for an hour.
- After an hour or so, when the dough has doubled in size simply punch out the air from it and gently knead it on a floured surface.
- Roll out the pizza and drizzle some olive oil on top.
- Spread pizza sauce and desired toppings- I used sliced onions, sliced black olives, sliced green bell peppers and chopped tomatoes.
- Top it with shredded mozzarella cheese and season it with salt and pepper.
- If need be, drizzle in some olive oil.
- Bake the pizza in a preheated oven till the base is crisp and golden (15-20 min, @200 deg celsius)