An easy and healthy roasted Portuguese salted cod with a clean lemony flavor.
By Rochelle Ramos
This oven roasted bacalhau (salted cod fish) is a fairly usual occurrence here in Portugal. Bacalhau is one of the most common foods you’ll find, but that doesn’t mean it’s always the same dish over and over. This one in particular is simple and so easy. It also only requires you to have 5 ingredients. You can always add more or take out a couple too. Oh and did I mention it’s healthy? That is of course after you’ve soaked the salted cod for 24-48 hours to remove the excess salt.
- 6 bacalhau filets, presoaked
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- olive oil to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C).
- Lay out a thin layer of onions in a large baking dish and drizzle with just a little olive oil. Place the bacalhau filets on top of the onions, alternating between skin side up and skin side down. Put another layer of onions on top of the fish along with the sliced garlic and lemon. Drizzle a bit more olive oil on top.
- Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes. If it's frozen, tack on another 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven and serve with roasted potatoes.
Rochelle is an Americana cooking, eating, photographing and writing in Portugal. She has a love for real food and learning to make it from scratch. As a new expat, she is slowly learning to speak the language and will soon be able to order more than just a café and pastel de nata from the local pastelaria.