All in the same pan, make a quick and easy chicken and tortellini dinner on a busy weeknight.
I don’t know about you, but anything I can do to make life a little easier is way up at the top of my list. And making an easy dinner after a hard day is sure to be on that list.
I am always on the lookout for quick but healthy dinner solutions that are relatively easy and have minimal clean up. I’ve made other quick dinners such as Italian Chicken Noodle Casserole and Italian Pork Chops but this dish would definitely win, hands down!
What makes it so simple is the fact that it can all be made in one pan.
One trick to making this dish a healthier is to substitute Greek yogurt for cream, it is much lower in fat and its probiotic content will aid in digestion.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 red & 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cubed then seasoned with salt & pepper
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 9-oz fresh spinach cheese tortellini (or your favorite)
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded (a low-fat variety will cut down on calories)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large oven-proof skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and peppers until golden brown.
- Turn heat down to medium and add tomatoes. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken, cover and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for cheese.
- Place skillet in oven and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle top with cheese and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes.
- If you like your cheese a little browner on top, place under broiler for a few minutes. Watch carefully so as not to burn.