Time to ting the glasses, Cocktail Friday is here!
It’s been ages. There’s a big cocktail shaped hole in my heart. Or there was…until TODAY! I went to the grocery store and the moment I walked through the automatic doors, I was hit with the sweet scent of stone fruit from a gigantic display in the produce department. I picked up some perfect nectarines, followed by bright green basil, and knew I had to make something as soon as possible with my treasures. So, this nectarine basil mojito was born! It has no added sugar and a light, fresh flavor that is perfect for the dog days of summer when you think the heat might actually make you pass out.
I’m not a fan of super sugary cocktails, so this mojito makes me particularly happy. If you want it to be a little sweeter, you can add some maple syrup or agave when you muddle the ingredients in the glass. Also, if you have an issue with texture-y things in your drinks, feel free to make a purée out of your nectarines. Just peel, add to a blender with the basil rum, and give it a whirl until smooth. Then follow the recipe as written!
Cheers, friends! I hope everyone has something to look forward to this weekend.
- ⅓ of a very ripe nectarine, thinly sliced*
- 1½ oz white rum (coconut rum is also tasty)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 large basil leaf, julienned
- 3 mint leaves
- sparkling water
- crushed ice
- basil leaves, nectarine slices, and lime slice for garnish
- In the bottom of a glass, muddle the nectarine slices with the rum, lime juice, mint and basil leaf (this is also where you would add any sweetener, if using).
- Add ice to the glass, followed by a splash of sparkling water.
- Garnish and serve!
- *It is important that the nectarine is very ripe. This ensures as much flavor and sweetness as possible.