This mushroom and truffle cheese flatbread is the umami flavor bomb your tastebuds are looking for.
When you are out at an amazing restaurant and you have one of their flatbread or pizzas with mushrooms, garlic, cheese and truffles and you wonder how on earth do they get it to taste so incredibly good! Well, I have for you today a gourmet flatbread that will rival any restaurant’s pizza. This Three Mushroom Pecorino Truffled Flatbread is out of this world with wonderful flavor.
Not too much from the truffle oil. Not too many toppings. Plain and simple yet there is nothing plain and simple about this flatbread!! Instead of a traditional tomato sauce we went for a truffled cheese sauce and wow, what an amazing flavor. It is not hard to make but does take a little more time than cracking a jar open but let me tell you it is so worth it.
Three different mushrooms adorn this pizza, dried black trumpet that I rehydrated, cremini and white button. This gives the flatbread different flavors and textures, a wonderful combination but you choose the mushrooms you would like to add.
This would make a stunning appetizer also to serve friends. A recipe that you will get rave reviews from. If the truffle oil is the right amount it just adds the perfect umami taste of earthy mushroom to the flatbread.
Mushroom and Truffle Cheese FlatbreadTara Noland
- 4-10 " flatbreads
Truffled Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups half and half cream 10%
- 2 cups pecorino cheese grated
- 1 cup Parmesan grated
- ½ tsp. truffle oil
- 14 gms. dried black Trumpet mushrooms soaked 20 min. in hot water and drained
- 5 large white button mushroom thinly sliced
- 5 cremini mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. truffle oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- To make the cheese sauce, saute the onions and garlic in a medium saucepan on medium heat for about 5 min. or until translucent. Add the cream and simmer until reduced by half. Add the cheese and the truffle oil and stir until melted. Set aside, covered.
- Saute the mushrooms in the butter until soft. Season with salt and pepper and another ½ tsp. of truffle oil.
- Preheat oven to 425F. For each flatbread spread on the cheese sauce dividing it among the flatbreads. Divide the mushrooms on top. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-12 min. or until golden brown.
- Top with chives and serve immediately.
Cooking, baking and entertaining have been a lifelong passion for me. I started at a very young age to bake and cook for my family. Even attempting many of Julia Child’s recipes as a young teenager and cooking meals for the family or for company. Now I love entertaining and celebrating the holidays. My husband Ken loves being in the kitchen creating right along with me. Our daughter has been doing cooking classes with me for a number of years and also enjoys everything that the kitchen has to offer.