These are soft and spongy pancakes dipped in sugar syrup and served hot or chilled with fresh cream or condensed milk.
By Sanjeeta Kk
Here is a basic recipe for a traditional and very popular Rajasthani dessert called Malpua with Cottage cheese or Paneer.
- 220 gm Condensed milk
- 100 gm semolina
- 50 gm whole wheat flour
- 50 gm cottage cheese
- 1 cup warm water or more
- 1 tsp. crushed Fennel seeds
- Salt a pinch
- A pinch Baking powder
- Almonds and Pistachios to garnish
- Oil to shallow fry
- 2 cups Sugar
- 3 cups Water
- Few strands of Saffron
- Soak semolina in 1 cup of warm water for 10 minutes in a large bowl. Make fresh cottage cheese and crumble it loosely.
- Add condensed milk, wheat flour, cottage cheese (paneer), salt, crushed fennel seeds and baking powder to soaked semolina mixture. Mix well to make a batter of flowing consistency. Add extra water if you feel that the batter is too thick.
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil in a large pan and add 2 cups of sugar in it and let the sugar melt. Take off the flame and add saffron strands in it.
- Heat a griddle and smear a little oil or butter on it. Pour a ladle of Malpua batter to make small pancake shape. Drizzle a teaspoon of oil around it and let it cook for 1-2 minutes till it becomes golden brown in colour. Flip to other side and repeat the same process. Make all Malpuas the same way and arrange them in a large plate. Pour the sugar syrup over the Malpuas.
- To serve the dessert, take out the Malpua from the sugar syrup and place it on a small serving plate. Garnish it with crushed almonds and pistachios and serve it with fresh cream or condensed milk.
Sanjeeta kk is the author of food blog ‘Lite Bite’ which features vegetarian recipes. Her quest for egg free baking and healthy cooking is extensively shared though all her recipes. She likes to share stories behind the origin of her recipes which are easy and accessible. Homemade, unprocessed and healthy food is what she strives for each day. She defines food as nostalgic, comforting & an important factor to connect with people and make community