Beautiful lemony cakes with a creamy fluffy filling.
By Michelle Keith
I feel like I just went from Spring to Summer in a week.
Maybe because it’s 86°F and it’s already time to break out the flip flops and sundresses? Maybe it’s because I got my first sunburn in months yesterday?
Or, maybe it’s the fragrant lemons that have been perfuming my home lately…
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 lemon
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 stick softened butter
- ¼ cup marshmallow cream
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Prepare cake batter following box instructions EXCEPT replace the water with milk but only half the amount.
- Example: If the box calls for ½ cup of water; add ¼ cup of milk instead
- Add juice of ½ lemon and 1 teaspoon lemon zest.
- OPTIONAL: a few drops yellow food coloring
- Spoon batter onto parchment lined baking sheet by increments of 2 tablespoons
- Bake 6-8 minutes at 350
- Meanwhile, beat butter, sugar, marshmallow cream and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Beat until fluffy, adding 1-2 teaspoons milk if needed to thin frosting.
- Spread filling on the flat side of one cake, and top with another cake.
Michelle Keith is a South Florida native and the author of "The Village Cook". A self taught chef, her experience cooking and baking spans over 30 years. In addition to her food blog, she has also been featured in numerous websites, and writes recipes for her local community newsletter. She also is the editor of "The Domestic Mama", a blog about motherhood and family life. She currently resides in South Florida.