PARTNER POST: The versatile potato is perfect in a multitude of recipes showcasing flavors from around the globe. Get creative with your spuds.
Italian Béchamel Potato Gratin combines French and Italian flavors into one delicious, easy to make and comforting potato dish.
Italian Béchamel Potato Gratin is my new way of serving delicious potatoes, everyone who tried this dish was amazed and fell in love with the amazing Italian and French flavors it packs. This recipe is my Italian take on classic Potato Gratin that is loaded with fresh Italian cheese and herbs.
The potatoes are thinly sliced and after that cooked in the most luxurious French Béchamel Sauce to which I added an Italian touch by adding to it mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning.
The Potato Gratin is topped with extra mozzarella cheese that gets crispy from baking, and every bite is packed with delicious layers of soft potatoes that have been cooked in a Béchamel Sauce. Talk about comfort food!
For another delicious potato dish, click here for the Potato Farl recipe.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups whole milk
- 8.8 ounces mozzarella cheese + 1 cup shredded
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes about 6 medium potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9inch deep baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add onion and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is pale golden for about 5 minutes.
- Whisking constantly, pour in 2 cups of milk, cook for a few minutes and add the remaining 2 cups of milk, whisk until smooth. Cook mixture stirring constantly until it starts to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and is very creamy, about 8 - 10 minutes. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in 8.8 ounces of cheese until melted.
- Mix the potatoes with the béchamel sauce and transfer the mixture to the baking dish, top with the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and transfer the dish into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour or 1 hour and 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hi, I am Katalina, the blogger behind Peas and Peonies where you'll find delicious recipes and lifestyle stories. My kitchen creations are usually with a twist, combining simple ingredients to create decadent, unique and innovative flavor combinations within a doable timeframe. Join the deliciousness!