This vegetarian Instant Pot Minestrone Soup with pasta and beans is a fast and healthy weeknight dinner that can be made in under 30 minutes. Cozy and comforting and perfect with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.
Here’s another Make Life Simple Recipe that can be made ahead and portioned out for midweek meals. – cozy, warming Instant Pot Minestrone Soup. Loaded up with veggies, 2 kinds of beans and pasta, this version is vegan and gluten-free adaptable. But it’s the fennel bulb that makes this Minestrone Soup special – giving it a unique and delicious complexity, really elevating it!
It’s topped with vibrant Gremolata– a zesty Italian herb sauce that enlivens and brightens stews and soups. A good thing to have on hand, for which you’ll find a multitude of uses.
Vibrant Gremolata gives it a burst of flavor- an Italian herb sauce made parsley, garlic, lemon zest and olive oil.
Keep it vegan or add a little pecorino or parmesan for extra richness.
I love how simple and easy this recipe is and how the addition of fennel gives it that extra layer of flavor that elevates the dish!
Instant Pot Minestrone
A simple but delicious Italian weeknight meal.
- Author: Sylvia Fountaine
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian-Inspired
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion- diced
- 4–6 garlic cloves- rough chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb (cored, diced thinly ( or sub 2 cups chopped celery))
- 2 cups chopped carrots (½ inch thick)
- 2 cans beans- kidney (white beans, cannellini beans, or chick peas- rinsed, drained. ( 3 cups))
- 1 14 ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes (or 1 ½ cups fresh diced tomato with their juices Diced, fire roasted tomatoes are a tasty option too.)
- 4 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry penne pasta- feel free to use GF (bean pasta, or whole wheat, or sub with halved baby potatoes)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ –1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- a couple handfuls chopped lacinato kale (optional)
- Serve with Crusty Bread and Gremolata (Parsley-Lemon-Garlic- Oil and optional grated pecorino.)
- Using the sauce setting of an Instant Pot, saute onion and garlic in the oil while you chop the rest of the veggies, adding them as you go.
- Add the fennel, carrots, beans, diced tomatoes, water or stock, salt, chili pepper, and Italian seasoning. Stir in the dry pasta and optional lacinato kale and set the pressure cooker to high for 10 minutes. While it’s cooking make the Gremolata.
- Once the ten minutes are up, release the pressure manually ( throw a kitchen towel over the pressure release valve to help mitigate the steam) and serve in bowls with Gremolata, crusty bread and grated pecorino if you like.
You could easily cook this on the stove top, pretty much the same way, adding the pasta after the beans and veggies have simmered 10-15 minutes. Cook until pasta is tender.
For hearty meat-eaters, feel free to add browned Italian sausage or cooked chicken breast.
Caterer and chef of Feast Catering Co., my blog Feasting at Home is where I share wholesome, seasonal recipes we cook at home.