These easy, festive cookies are easy to make and fill with jam and qualify as a deliciously sweet gift for the person who has everything else that isn’t edible.
In my humble opinion, there’s no better way to fill your spare time at this time of year than with some delicious baking. These jam biscuits are easy to make and honestly if you’re trying to save on Christmas presents this year, why not just buy a jar or two, some nice tissue paper and a bit of that red candy cane string to tie around the top and you’ve got yourself a pretty impressive, homemade present. Bake these the day before Christmas for the ultimate freshness.
- 500g Butter or Margarine
- 500g Caster Sugar
- Vanilla Seeds of 1 pod
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1000g Plain Flour
- 1 Egg Yolk (for pastry brush)
- Icing Sugar
- Your Favourite Jam
- Preheat your oven to 200 degree C and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Add all the ingredients (except the fillings and the icing sugar) into a bowl. Use your finger tips to crumble the butter and dry ingredients together and then knead into a dough. Cling film and leave in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll out evenly on a floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut circles into the dough.
- Then cut mini hole in the middle of half of the circles using a mini star cutter if you have it or a circular one if not.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 5-8 minutes and remove then allow to cool.
- Take one of your cookie pieces without a hole and place jam in the centre. Then place one of the cookies with a hole on top and press down. Repeat for all cookies and then sieve on some icing sugar.
Find more tips on How to Nail Christmas.