Enjoy a healthy and super easy to make kale and brussels sprout salad recipe from Taylor Kadlec.
By Taylor Kadlec
I love the look of this salad because the kale and brussels sprouts are chopped up super duper finely. I actually used my food processor to do this because I was lazy and didn’t want to do a bunch of chopping. It ended up working out perfectly, getting the pieces really tiny. The almonds added a yummy crunch to the salad and the Parmesan cheese rounded out all of the flavors really nicely. My only regret with this salad is that I didn’t make more – I barely had any leftovers.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 2 large bunches of kale (about 1½ lb. total), center stem discarded
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup almonds with skins, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine the lemon juice, dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, and salt. Stir to blend and set aside.
- Place kale in large food processor and pulse 3-4 times until finely chopped. You can also do this with a knife, I just found it easier to get little pieces in the food processor. Place in large bowl.
- Place brussels sprouts in food processor and pulse until shredded. I had to do this in batches and like the kale, you can also just chop finely with a knife if you don't have a food processor. Add to brussels sprouts.
- Add almonds to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to brussels sprouts and kale.
- Add cheese to salad mixture.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Taylor Kadlec is a lover of all things food including baking, cooking, and of course, eating. She is a self-taught baker and cook, and she shares her kitchen adventures on her blog Greens & Chocolate, where healthy cooking meets sinful indulgence.