This recipe is very simple to make. Grilled Vegetable Panzanella Salad is a twist on a traditional Italian salad, and a perfect side to a summer barbecue.
I love a good panzanella salad. The crispy hearty bread, soaked in an Italian vinaigrette and tossed with mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. Although I like the traditional version very much I wanted to make use of the seasonal, summertime vegetables I had on hand and incorporate them into this dish.
My version of panzanella salad is made with whole wheat crusty bread, parmesan cheese, lemon-herb vinaigrette and loaded with roasted vegetables.
The salad is bursting with flavor in every bite. The juices from the grilled vegetables and the lemon-herb vinaigrette get soaked into the hearty bread.
To get the full effect of this salad make sure to get vegetables, cheese, and bread in every bite. You’ll be glad you did!
- 1 whole wheat baguette, cut into 1 to 2 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, left whole
- ½ of a red pepper, quartered
- ½ of a yellow pepper, quartered
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce red wine vinegar
- 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch of salt
- To begin, toss your vegetables in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill over medium high heat. The vegetables will take about 7-10 minutes to cook. The bell peppers will take the longest. Flip the vegetables half way through. When the vegetables are cooked cut them into medium bite size pieces. I left my zucchini and onions whole. I just diced up my mushrooms and bell peppers.
- To make the vinaigrette whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with parsley, oregano and salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine the grilled vegetables and baguette. Drizzle with the lemon-herb vinaigrette and toss to combine. Serve on a platter and garnish with extra lemon and parsley. You can also drizzle a bit more olive oil as well. Serve immediately.