This is a great fresh “herby” grilled shrimp recipe with tons of classic Indian flavors.
By Nik Sharma
I love serving these shrimp with fresh crispy salad vegetables, so feel free to add whatever you can find or love! On a side note please make sure to use fresh shrimp and devein them.
- 2 cups packed cilantro leaves, fresh
- 1 cup packed mint leaves, fresh
- 4 thai green chilis
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice, fresh (about 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ cup water
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined with tail on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large lemon, fresh
- In a food processor, pulse all the ingredients from the cilantro to the water to make a smooth chutney. Adjust the taste with additional salt and pepper if desired. Store the chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Pat the shrimp dry with a clean towel and add half of the cilantro mint chutney along with the olive oil. Mix and refrigerate in a covered container for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat a grill. Skewer the shrimp and grill them on the hot grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Baste as needed with the leftover marinade from the chutney. The shells at the tail end and the meat will turn a hot pink color when they are done cooking. Remove the skewers and immediately squeeze a little lemon juice from the lemon over the hot shrimp. Serve them on the skewers with the reserved chutney.