This is a great fresh “herby” grilled shrimp recipe with tons of classic Indian flavors.
By Nik Sharma
I love serving these shrimp with fresh crispy salad vegetables, so feel free to add whatever you can find or love! On a side note please make sure to use fresh shrimp and devein them.
- 2 cups packed cilantro leaves, fresh
- 1 cup packed mint leaves, fresh
- 4 thai green chilis
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice, fresh (about 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- ½ cup water
- 2 lbs jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined with tail on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large lemon, fresh
- In a food processor, pulse all the ingredients from the cilantro to the water to make a smooth chutney. Adjust the taste with additional salt and pepper if desired. Store the chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Pat the shrimp dry with a clean towel and add half of the cilantro mint chutney along with the olive oil. Mix and refrigerate in a covered container for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat a grill. Skewer the shrimp and grill them on the hot grill for 2-3 minutes on each side. Baste as needed with the leftover marinade from the chutney. The shells at the tail end and the meat will turn a hot pink color when they are done cooking. Remove the skewers and immediately squeeze a little lemon juice from the lemon over the hot shrimp. Serve them on the skewers with the reserved chutney.
Nik Sharma is the cook, author and photographer behind "A Brown Table" and currently resides in Washington D.C. He is a self-taught cook that is constantly trying to infuse "exotic" spices and ingredients by learning different cooking techniques in day-to-day meals with the motto of keeping all cooking methods fun, simple and useful.