Enjoy these grilled Chilean beef skewers with a drizzle of smokey chimichurri and a side of cilantro rice.
Served with cilantro rice, this meal comes together quickly and easily, perfect for a weeknight dinner. Set the table for two, pour a couple of glasses of good red wine and enjoy the evening relaxing and unwinding. Soon the stress of the work day will be long forgotten.
For this recipe, beef is cut into cubes an drizzled with olive oil, then seasoned along with garlic and lime zest. While the meat marinates for a few minutes, put a pot of rice on and make the flavorful smokey chipotle chimichurri. Skewer the beef along with baby tomatoes and onions. Then grill.
Step by Step Guide to Making Grilled Chilean Beef Skewers with Chimichurri Sauce
1. Preparing the Skewers:
- Soak 8 ten-inch skewers in warm water to prevent them from burning on the grill.
2. Preparing the Beef:
- Cut the beef into cubes and place them in a ziplock bag or a medium bowl.
3. Marinating the Beef:
- In a small bowl, mix oil, lime juice and zest, garlic, spices, salt, and pepper.
- Pour this marinade over the beef in the bag or bowl, ensuring all pieces are well coated.
- Seal the bag or cover the bowl and set it aside at room temperature to marinate.
4. Preheating the Grill:
- Prepare and preheat your grill for cooking the skewers.
5. Cooking the Rice:
- In a medium pot, combine water and rice. Bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and let the rice simmer for about 20 minutes.
6. Making the Smokey Chimichurri:
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the chimichurri sauce.
- In a food processor, combine all chimichurri ingredients.
- Pulse the mixture 10 to 15 times until the cilantro and onion are well minced. The consistency should be similar to pesto.
- Transfer the chimichurri sauce to a small bowl and set it aside.
7. Assembling the Skewers:
- Assemble the skewers by alternating pieces of beef, cherry tomatoes, and onion slices until each skewer is full. Aim for about 3-4 pieces of beef per skewer.
8. Grilling the Skewers:
- Grill the skewers over medium-high heat, turning them occasionally. Grill until the meat is nicely charred and cooked to your preferred level of doneness.
9. Finishing the Rice:
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer it to a serving bowl.
- Squeeze some lime over the rice and garnish with cilantro and scallions.
- Serve the grilled beef skewers along with the smokey chimichurri sauce and the seasoned rice.
Caterer and chef of Feast Catering Co., my blog Feasting at Home is where I share wholesome, seasonal recipes we cook at home.