Loaded with fresh vegetables and herbs, this green grilled cheese is layered with a dairy-free sliced cheese that still melts and stretches for edible vegan bliss.
There’s nothing better than a great grilled cheese. Add seasonal herbs, greens, and vegetables to the mix and we’re in heaven. For those eaters who are looking to decrease their intake or totally avoid dairy, we have a solution so you don’t have to give up the classic grilled cheese sandwich. We tried Daiya‘s dairy-free sliced provolone “cheese” and it was the perfect addition!
The dairy substitute melted in the pan as the bread toasted (tips below if you have trouble getting this to happen) and melted together all the greed goodness inside. It tasted good, was the right texture and even stretched as we cut the sandwich in half. Try if for yourself!
Check out this recipe for vegan pesto for your dairy free sandwich.
Green Grilled Cheese
- 2 pieces of bread spread with coconut oil or dairy free butter on one site
- 1/4 cup pesto adjust amount to your liking (check out the link above for a vegan pesto option)
- 5 cucumber slices
- 5 avocado slices
- 1/4 fresh arugula
- 2 slices Daiya Provolone
- pinch of salt optional (if your pesto contains salt, you do not need to use this)
- Arrange bread with pesto, cucumbers, avocado, arugula, and provolone slices.
- Grill sandwich until toasted and cheese is melted. Alternatively, You can microwave the sandwich half open faced, without the avocado, for 15 seconds (depends on your microwave) so the cheese starts to melt and then grill in the pan to toast the bread.
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.