A gluten free dessert that can easily become a vegan treat. This dessert is packed full of flavor, and a healthier option when reaching for a sweet treat.
By Terra Baltosiewich
A perfect cake to celebrate with everyone! This cake is easily altered to become a vegan treat. With the use of coconut flour, pumpkin and apples, there is flavor bursting from every corner of the pan!
The dessert is not only delicious; it is also healthy- packed full of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Keep the skin on the apples, this will provide more fiber!
Instead of buying a simple can of apple pie filling, make your own. Depending on the time of year, use fresh or canned pumpkin. Keep the recipe fresh, and delicious.
- 4 medium apples diced
- ¾ cup (180g) unsalted butter (use Earth Balance for vegan version)
- 1 cup (180g) brown sugar, firmly packed
- ½ tsp (2.5mL) cardamom
- 1 tsp (4.9mL) cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp (15g) cornstarch (use 2-3 tsp xanthum gum for vegan version)
- 2 cups (240g) gluten free flour (I used - 1 cup coconut flour, ½ cup arrowroot flour, ½ tapioca flour)
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 tsp (4.9mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (4.9mL) baking soda
- ½ (2.5mL) tsp salt
- 1 cup (240g) pumpkin
- ¾ cup (180mL) canola oil
- For icing
- 3 cups (300g) powdered sugar
- 8 Tbsp (120mL) almond milk
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15mL) pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease 9 x 13 pan with butter, and lightly flour.
- In sauce pan, on medium heat, cook apples, butter, brown sugar together until softened. Add cardamom, and cinnamon. In small bowl mix together cornstarch and 2 Tbsps water, add into cooked apples. Turn sauce pan down to simmer, let sauce thicken.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In large bowl, mix together sugar, pumpkin, and oil. Add in cooked apples and mix well.
- Mix together wet ingredients with dry ingredients.
- Spread out evenly in greased pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes depending on oven. Let cake cool.
- In small bowl, mix together powdered sugar, vanilla sugar, almond milk, and pumpkin. Spread out over cake.