PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
These crunchy exterior cakes lead to soft potato and tuna with a warm melted cheese center, inspired by the classic tuna melt sandwich.
By Janette Fuschi
The cakes start with mashed potatoes. They are mixed with a good quality, sustainable canned tuna. The zest and juice of a lemon are added for delicious freshness along with yellow mustard, a good quality mayonnaise, corn for sweetness and fresh chopped chives for just a hint of onion flavor. The cakes are then coated in panko breadcrumbs. Because we want them as crispy as possible, they are then shallow fried to a perfect golden brown.
The cakes are garnished with a very easy lemon mayonnaise; simply fresh lemon juice and mayonnaise mixed together that is a fresh tasting ‘sauce’ which complements the cakes perfectly.
Cutting through the crispy crust into the fluffy potato, the center is filled with oozing melted cheese that spills out onto the plate.
- 5 to 6 medium russet or gold potatoes
- 6 ounces sustainable tuna in water, drained
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- ½ cup canned or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1 inch cubes Castello light havarti cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1¼ cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Using a fork, pierce the skin of the potatoes all over.
- Microwave each potato for 2 minutes, turn and microwave for 2 minutes until the skins start to wrinkle and the potatoes are soft. Set aside and allow to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl add the potato and mash until smooth.
- Add the tuna and mix well.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice, mustard, mayonnaise, green onions, corn, salt and pepper.
- Take ¾ cup of mix and form into a ball.
- Make a deep well in the center of the cakes and place a cube of cheese.
- Re-form the patties so the cheese is well covered into 3 inch diameter by 1 inch high cakes.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the cakes to set.
- Add the egg and panko to shallow bowls.
- Dip the patties into the egg, then into the panko.
- Add oil to a cast iron skillet and heat over medium heat until it starts to ripple.
- Add the patties and cook for 2 minutes each side.
- Add the the mayonnaise and lemon to a small mixing bowl and mix well.
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.