PARTNER POST: The versatile potato is perfect in a multitude of recipes showcasing flavors from around the globe. Get creative with your spuds.
Also known as patatas lemonates, these Greek lemon potatoes are so easy to make and receive a hint of turmeric for a special spin.
Patates Lemonates was my food obsession upon moving to Astoria, Queens and discovering the deliciousness of Greek cuisine. If you’ve been to an authentic Greek restaurant, you’ve undoubtedly learned that the Greek vegetable side game is unreal. Take their giant baked beans, olive dips, horta (dandelion greens) or these golden beauties for example. Well when this all occurred to me, I was a very happy new Queens resident!
This is one of my favorite comfort foods I treat myself to every so often and it’s too easy to not try. I’ve even put my own (albeit small) spin on them… by adding some turmeric. I couldn’t resist. Also, while a lot of restaurants and traditional recipes will use chicken broth, my Mother in law (and aspiring hand model in these photos) and I prefer it without! So this recipe is perfectly vegan. Serve these with your favorite sautéed greens and protein of choice like a broiled fish or beans and you have yourself a well-balanced and flavorful meal.
For another international potato recipe, try these Bombay Spiced Potatoes:
Easy Greek Lemon PotatoesAlison Marras
- 5 large yukon or russet potatoes
- 2 lemons juiced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2/4 cup water
- sea salt pepper, and dried oregano to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric optional
- Pre-heat oven to 425f degrees.
- Scrub and peel potatoes well under water and slice into wedges, try to keep them all similar thickness/size so they cook evenly.
- Add sliced potatoes to a large glass baking dish or a casserole dish will do. Make sure the potatoes fit in a single layer.
- Add over top: water, lemon juice, olive oil and all seasonings. Mix together with a wooden spoon or hands to make sure potatoes are evenly coated.
- Cover the baking dish with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes with tin foil, then uncovered for approx. 15 minutes until golden. Stick potatoes to confirm when they're done.
Food by Mars is a Clean, Seasonal, Celestial Recipe Blog featuring gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, and lactose-free recipes including a Monthly Horoscope inspired recipe!