Get some culinary inspiration for lunches on the go with recipes like this easy Greek salad pita.
Find colorful culinary inspiration with American Girl Cooking: Recipes for Delicious Snacks, Meals & More, the cookbook for the aspiring chef. Filled with great, easy-to-follow recipes this cookbook will inspire young emerging chefs to pick up their chef toques, their whisks and begin their adventures in the kitchen.
- 2 regular or whole-wheat pita breads
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1?4 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 large plum tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted black olives (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese or goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1?4 cup Lemony Hummus or store-bought hummus
- 1 cup chopped or shredded cooked chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Stack the pita breads and cut them in half. Wrap the halves in aluminum foil. Place in the oven to warm for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumber, tomato, olives (if using), and cheese. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and vinegar, season with salt, and then drizzle the mixture over the salad. Using tongs, toss to combine.
- Remove the pita breads from the oven and unwrap them. Spread the inside of each pita with 1 tablespoon hummus. Add the chicken, dividing evenly. Spoon the salad inside, dividing it evenly. Serve right away.