Dulce de leche stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies. Super soft and chewy and loaded with chocolate!
What’s better than a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie? One stuffed with dulce de leche sauce of course! These chocolate chip cookies are out of this world. Perfectly soft and chewy with a slight sweetness from the dulce de leche.
I made my own homemade dulce de leche in the slow cooker with a can of sweetened condensed milk. It couldn’t be easier. Just place a can of sweetened condensed milk in the slow cooker and fill with water. Cook for 8-10 hours on low. That’s it! Store in your fridge for 3 weeks to serve on ice cream, bread or brownies.
The secret to these cookies is the cornstarch which makes them perfectly soft and chewy.
I also added in a lot of chocolate! I do a mix of chocolate chunks and semi sweet chocolate chips for this recipe.
Once the cookie dough is made I refrigerate it for at least an hour. You can always make these ahead of time and bake when you are ready to eat. Letting them sit in the refrigerator allows the flavors to develop.
When you are ready to bake them simply grab a heaping tablespoon of dough and stuff with 1/2 teaspoon of dulce de leche. Form the dough around the dulce de leche so it’s completely covered. Place on a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-11 minutes!
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter (3/4 cup), softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- ¼-1/2 cup dulce de leche
- Note: Prep time does not include chilling time.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in both sugars and cream for an additional 1-2 minutes or until combined.
- Add in the egg and vanilla until combined and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- In two additions add the dry ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chocolate chunks by hand.
- Refrigerate dough for at least and hour or overnight.
- When you are ready to bake preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator.
- Scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of cookie dough and flatten dough into a thin bowl shape. Add ½ teaspoon of dulce de leche to the center of dough. Wrap dough around dulce de leche, being sure to fully enclose.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown. (I take mine out a little earlier and let them continue to cook on the pan)
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.