A buttery tart filled with frangipane and topped with caramel-rum bananas and a caramel whipped cream. Rich and decadent, just how we like it.
By Amanda Koh
It’s filled with frangipane (almond cream) and topped with sliced bananas coated with a sticky caramel laced with rum and cinnamon that sit atop a generous spread of cream whipped together with the caramel. Divine medley of flavours.
- 60g (2 ounces) butter
- 60g (2 ounces) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp rum
- 20g (0.7 ounces) cake flour
- 60g (2 ounces) ground almonds
- 2 to 3 bananas, thickly sliced on a diagonal
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 20g (0.7 ounces) butter
- 1 tbsp rum
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 100ml (3.3 ounces) heavy cream
- 2 to 3 tbsp of the cooled caramel from the bananas
- almond flakes and pistachios, toasted and cooled (optional)
- Cream the butter until smooth. Add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg bit by bit and stir in the rum. Stir in the cake flour and ground almonds until combined.
- Scrape into the prepared crust and bake at 170C (340F) for around 40 minutes or until brown. Cool completely.
- Place the sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium heat until the sugar has melted and caramelized. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the butter and rum. When the mixture is smooth, return to low to medium heat and stir in the sliced bananas, ensuring that they're evenly coated. Stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the ground cinnamon and remove from heat. After the mixture has cooled to room temperature, chill in the fridge until completely cold.
- Whip the cream and caramel until medium stiff peaks.
- Spread the caramel cream on top of the tart. Arrange the bananas on top of the cream, remembering to make the center a little higher than the rest. Sprinkle with the toasted nuts.