A festive rosy and green drink is made with a traditional rum punch theme, but using fresh cranberries and mint.
By Aysegül Sanford
I wanted a rum punch recipe that truly takes it up a notch and would be appropriate for the season. That is when I decided to use the fresh cranberries I had in the fridge. But for my kind of rum punch, I decided to use a good quality rum, such as Flor de Caña. The idea was making a quick cranberry juice and mixing it with freshly squeezed lime juice and rum. Though it looked pretty, it needed some color. That is why, at the last minute, I added fresh mint leaves to both enhance the flavor and give it a nice contrast of color making it a perfect drink for the holidays.
As you can see in the pictures, it not only looked very festive, but also ended up being a perfect Caribbean style holiday drink that I will be making in the years to come.
Cranberry Rum Punch with MintAysegül Sanford
- 2 ½ cups fresh cranberries picked over and washed
- 2 ½ cups of water
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar divided
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves washed and dried – plus more for garnishing
- ½ cup lime juice freshly squeezed from 4-5 limes
- 1½ cup rum such as Flor de Cana
- Place the cranberries, water, and ½ cup sugar in a small saucepan. Stirring regularly, bring it to a boil, and then, let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the granulated sugar completely dissolves. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, place fresh mint leaves and 3 tablespoons in a measuring cup. Mash it with a muddler until mint leaves are completely bruised and sugar is dissolved.
- Strain the cranberry syrup into a pitcher. Reserve ½ cup of the cranberries for garnishing, for later.
- Add the lime juice, rum, and mint in to the pitcher. Stir it until they are all mixed.
- Strain the mixture through a medium mash strainer pressing gently to make sure you get all the juices out of the mint leaves.
- Pour it over tall glasses filled with ice cubes, and garnish each glass with fresh mint leaves and reserved cranberries.
Aysegul is the cook, writer, and photographer behind foolproofliving.com. She spends her days creating recipes from seasonal ingredients on a small island in the Caribbean. Other than cooking and baking, her biggest passion in life is photography. She also is a firm believer that if you know how to read, you know how to cook.