Ready in just 30 minutes, this Coconut Chicken Curry is full of creamy curry flavor and loaded with red peppers and green beans.
Does your family like curry? My kids love spice so they are usually game for anything covered in creamy coconut curry sauce like this Easy Beef Curry and this Instant Pot Chicken Curry. In fact we are always looking for new ways to use curry around here.
This Coconut Chicken Curry is easily made with pantry staples – I always have canned coconut milk in the pantry. It is so versatile and can even make Coconut Espresso Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Hello, summer!
This dish is so simple, it’s easy to make on a weeknight. I just mixed up the sauce while the chicken pieces browned. I removed the chicken and added the veggies to saute a bit then I added the chicken and the sauce back in. Cooking it a few more minutes allows the sauce to thicken up. I serve it with rice for my kids and I eat it the low carb way – sans rice!
You can find red, yellow and green curry powder at your local market. For this Coconut Chicken Curry, I used yellow curry powder which is a mixture of turmeric, chili powder, coriander, cumin and a few other yummy spices. Some studies say that curry powder can help prevent Alzheimer’s and some cancers so let’s load up on it! If you are a creative mood and have extra time on your hands you can make your own curry powder with this recipe here.
Curry paste is another option and it contains oils and other fresh ingredients like ginger and garlic. In general curry paste does not contain turmeric and is more often used in Thai recipes.
- ½ 14 oz can of coconut milk, well shaken
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 pound chicken breast, sliced into even sized pieces
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced thin
- 2 scallions, chopped
- basil for garnish
- Add first 6 ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk well. It's okay if the coconut oil is a bit lumpy. Set aside.
- Heat 1½ tbsp sesame oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken from pan and cover with foil.
- Add remaining 1½ tbsp oil to the pan. Add beans and peppers and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pan. Whisk the sauce again then add to the pan. Cook until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil and chopped scallions.
- Serve with rice or cauliflower rice.