If you’re also looking for a dessert that’s a little less naughty than usual, try these tasty chocolate meringues.
By Eleanor Jones
- 3 egg whites
- 50g plain chocolate, grated
- 150g golden caster sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp cocoa
- Preheat your oven to 140C.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form and you can tip the bowl upside down over your head without getting egg-shampooed.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Gently(!) fold in the chocolate and sifted cocoa, being careful to keep as much air in the mixture as possible.
- Pipe or spoon your meringues onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, and put them in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, with the meringues still inside, and leave them to cool.
- Once the meringues are cooled, carefully peel them from the greaseproof paper, and enjoy!
Eleanor Jones is an editorial assistant and writer by day, and a serial sugar junkie by night. A committed vegetarian, her posts are a mostly a mixture of tasty veggie treats and seriously decadent bakes. When she’s not cooking, Eleanor can be found watching old movies, cooing over expensive dresses, and searching the internet for pictures of animals in hilarious costumes. Her blog, mademoisellie, revolves around life, love and most importantly, food, in London.