The green onions give this a subtle onion flavor without overpowering the flavor of the two different types of beans.
By Amber Massey
Bean dips come in all shapes and forms- but this one has something a little extra special added to it.
Avocado. Yep- I did that. I changed up the spicy twang of this bean dip recipe and added a creamy smooth texture to it with the healthy fats of an avocado.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 chipotle pepper (from a can)
- 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from canned chilies)
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ large avocado
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- The juice of two fresh limes
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place first 9 ingredients (through lime juice) into a food processor or blender and combine until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. While the processor is running, add in the vinegar and then add water until it reaches the desired thickness. Add more or less water as needed.
- Serve warm or cold. Granish with chopped tomato and chopped green onions.