This is the cocktail you wanna be sipping on a porch on a lazy summer day while some meat is cooking on the grill.
By Brittany Everett
Basil is a long-time hero of many cocktails, both sweet and savory. It’s herbaceous and peppery punch is welcome at any party of mine. In this drink I use a basil simple syrup, as well as fresh basil in the cocktail shaker.
- ½ ounce lime juice
- 2 basil leaves
- 2 ounces gin
- 1½ ounces celery juice*
- ½ ounce basil simple syrup
- celery and basil leaves, for garnish
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large stems of basil with leaves
- In a small pot over medium heat, warm the water and sugar, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved and it just comes to a simmer. Once at a simmer, remove from the heat, add the basil and stir. Let the basil steep in the syrup as it cools, then strain.
- Muddle the basil leaves and lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker with ice and add gin, celery juice and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for several seconds and strain into a chilled glass. Garnish with celery leaves and basil.
A graphic designer by day, Brittany enjoys cooking, eating, photographing and discussing food with every other waking moment. She created Kitchenette, a food blog dedicated to making delicious comfort foods from scratch and with love.