Avocado is puréed in a blender alongside cucumbers, Greek yogurt, lime, and garlic, for a refreshing chilled soup.
By Mariela Alvarez Toro
The grassiness of the avocado is highlighted by the lime juice and brightened by the addition of cilantro. The yogurt coats you mouth, making every bite velvety smooth and decadent.
- ½ large Florida avocado, or 1 california avocado, cubes
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup cold water
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful of cilantro
- 1 substantial pinch of salt
- Pine nuts (as many as you want)
- Cilantro (several leaves should be enough)
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Place all ingredients in a blender over medium high speed. Puree until smooth. Taste for seasoning. Adjust as necessary. Serve into small bowls and garnish with pine nuts, cilantro, and olive oil. Eat immediately. Enjoy!
Recently graduated with from Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design. She has recently completed "People in Food-Space", an ethnographic study on the cultural production of taste in space. She has also examined post-soviet food production systems and housing projects in Havana, Cuba. Originally from Puerto Rico, Mariela has been living in the United States for eight years. She has involved herself in both teaching and practice, while writing on food at tastyplan.com. Her goal as a food writer is to cook creatively, using the best ingredients to find new flavor combinations every day.