PARTNER POST: We’ve teamed up with Bonne Maman to bring you the best homemade breakfast and brunch recipes to show Mom you care this Mother’s Day and all spring long
This cast iron chicken with strawberry rhubarb balsamic glaze is the perfect mix of sweet and savory, made with humble ingredients, and perfect for sharing with those you love most.
There is something about a shared rustic meal that is comforting. The way you can walk into a home and immediately know someone has been working the in the kitchen to create a meal to share together. The was there is a familiarity in the old cast iron skillet, a faded recipe handed down over time, or a special treat that they have waiting just for you.
This to me is what the core of cooking is, sharing moments with one another. Yes, food and flavors have become a huge part of my life, along with everything that runs in correlation to that – from farming all the way to mass production in American foodways – but it will always be the meals, the ones I never photograph, the moments around a table with the persons who matter most to me, that will be the thing that fuels this why.
So as we step back and focus on the people who are important in our lives on Mother’s Day, let’s raise a glass to those impactful women who have helped shape us.
This Cast Iron Roasted Chicken with Strawberry Rhubarb Balsamic Glaze recipe is the perfect mix of sweet and savory that brings out the best in one of the most classic dishes you can prepare. Using humble ingredients, and delicious Bonne Maman Strawberry preserves, I was able to create a recipe that is perfect for sharing around a table with great laughter and conversation. Just like every meal should be. Say it with Homemade and share something more than fast food with your family tonight.
Be sure and check out Bonne Maman’s sweepstakes for a chance to win a 12-piece Le Creuset Cookware Set or 1,000 other prizes that are available! Click below.
For another recipe idea, check out these strawberry muffins.
Click here for the written recipe.
Chicken with Strawberry Rhubarb Balsamic GlazeKita Robers
For the Strawberry Rhubarb Glaze
- 3/4 cup Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar fig reduction
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 stalks rhubarb trimmed and chopped
For the Chicken
- 2 tbs grape seed oil
- 4 lbs bone in skin on chicken quarters
- fresh thyme and sliced strawberries for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the strawberry rhubarb glaze ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring, then reduce heat to a simmer over low heat and allow the sauce to thicken over time. Keep an eye on it and remove from heat if needed. If sauce thickens too much, add a bit more of the strawberry preserves.
- Meanwhile, heat the grape seed oil in a large cast iron skillet until very hot. Pat the chicken dry and season with salt. Place the chicken skin side down and allow to crisp and golden,7 to 10 minutes. Flip the chicken carefully, cover, and place in the oven, cooking for another 20 minutes. Remove the lid and spoon a bit of the sauce over the chicken. Place in the oven and cook another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve the chicken on a platter with additional sauce on the side to spoon over the top.