This retro one-pot dinner consists of shredded chicken cooked with mushrooms, carrots and tender green peas in a cream sauce.
By Amy Casey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks, about 1 ½ cups
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ to 1 teaspoon salt – depending on how salty the chicken stock is dash of allspice
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 6 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Wide egg noodles, rice, biscuits or toast points for serving
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add the butter and olive oil. When the butter has melted, add the onion, mushrooms, and carrots. Sauté for about 8 – 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just beginning to brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk and chicken stock, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Continue cooking for 3 – 4 minutes or until the sauce is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Add pepper, salt and allspice. Stir in the peas, chicken, and parsley. Continue cooking until heated through, about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Serve over noodles, rice, biscuits or toast.
Amy Casey, of northern New Jersey, is a food columnist for the New Jersey Herald and cookbook author. She has developed a wealth of recipes as a personal chef and also while cooking for her own family of five. See more of her recipes in her just published cookbook for e-readers Dinner for a Year – 52 Easy and Delicious Recipes to Spice Up Your Family Menu Planning.