Homemade bread loaded with sweet caramelized onions, spicy habanero and fresh spinach makes the perfect anytime snack — especially delicious hot out of the oven.
By Carolyng Gomes
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 2 oz habanero jack cheese, diced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tbsp yeast
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- In a food processor pulse spinach and cheese until large crumbles form.
- In a pan on medium heat sauté and caramelize onions. 15 minutes.
- In a stand mixer add all dry ingredients. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add spinach, habanero cheese and onion, with mixer on speed 2, until everything is evenly coated in flour mixture.
- While on speed 2 drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil and water until dough forms and separates from bowl.
- Preheat oven to 110 F.
- Overturn dough on floured surface and knead until dough is pillowy, pliable and not sticky.
- Transfer dough to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and put in oven to rise until doubled. 1 hour.
- Remove dough from bowl, shape and transfer to an oiled baking sheet.
- Brush bread with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Allow bread to rise again while oven is heating.
- Bake bread for 30 minutes until shell is crisp and golden brown.
Carolyng loves to eat, loves to cook and loves to eat more. To her a recipe is more a list of suggestions, saving time doesn’t mean sacrificing on flavor and when in doubt, a splash or two (well, a nice pour) of wine never hurts. Welcome to her Cocina Latina, where South American and Latin fusion dishes are always on the menu.