Loaded with Mexican flavors, this brown rice bake with beans is a delicious no-meat dish with a serving of vegetables included.
Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake makes dinner healthy, fast and fun!
SKILL LEVEL: EASY
Kitchen basics like using the oven and chopping veggies are all you need to make this recipe. Easy Mexican Brown Rice Bake is a smart food choice. It’s a great source of whole grains, lean protein and fresh vegetables.
This is a basic recipe you can change up with a few ingredient swaps! Unleash your creativity, or try some of these easy ideas:
-Hot n’ Fiery: Add Anaheim, poblano, jalapeño, hatch or habanero peppers • use hot taco sauce • top with hot salsa
-“Beefy” Burrito: Use canned refried beans instead of black beans • add meatless ground crumbles or crushed walnuts • top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, dairy or dairy-free sour cream and chile sauce
-Chik’n Verde: Use salsa verde instead of taco sauce • add meatless chik’n • use white or Jack dairy or dairy-free cheese • top with dairy or dairy-free sour cream and salsa verde
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can salt free black beans, drained
- ¾ cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 bottle taco sauce, 16 oz. size
- half a red bell pepper, chopped
- half a small onion, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese or nondairy cheese
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- half a bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- optional - a few pinches of salt free taco seasoning or spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika) for garnish
- Have the rice ready in a mixing bowl or the pot you cooked it in. If you're making instant rice, follow the instructions on the box for 4 servings.
- Turn the oven on to 350.
- Have a 9" x 9" baking pan ready. Grease the inside with cooking spray or a little oil if it's not nonstick.
- Add the beans, corn, taco sauce, pepper and onion to the rice. Stir everything together.
- Spread the rice mixture evenly in the baking pan. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top each portion with tomato and cilantro, and enjoy.