When the temperature drops and winter starts to feel downright apocalyptic, nothing brings feeling back to fingers like a boozy cup of hot cocoa.
By Marissa Sertich
Quality chocolate melted with cream and a nip of Grand Marnier not only tastes delicious, but brings rosiness back to your cheeks. So stay inside your igloo, find an armchair and take on the winter one sip at a time.Print
Boozy Dark Chocolate and Cayenne Pepper Cocoa
- Author: Marissa Sertich
- Yield: 2 1x
- 5 oz dark chocolate, 70%
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 2 ounces Grand Marnier, or orange liqueur
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Using a box grater, grate the chocolate into fine shavings. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a boil. Remove pan from the heat and set aside.
- Using a whisk, add the grated chocolate to the hot cream. Continue to whisk until all of the chocolate has melted and the mixture has become uniform in color.
- When the chocolate is dissolved, stir in powdered sugar, liqueur and cayenne.
- Drink warm and enjoy
- Category: Beverage
Marissa Sertich Velie is a New York based pastry chef and graduate of the Culinary Institute of America. She passionately documents her adventures of baking and eating her way through the fascinating (and sometimes nutty) underbelly of the American pie. Velie has a Master's degree in Food Studies from NYU.
I am not a big Cocoa drinker, but when I do enjoy it on a cool day or night, I “must” have it topped w/ a couple shakes of cayenne!!
Its a MUST – Yummy Must.lol