Bombay Aloo aka Masala Potatoes is an easy to make, everyday curry that is great to serve with both rice or Roti. Flavored with spices and laced with sweet caramelized, this potato curry is sure to be a family favorite.
Bombay potatoes, this is a very simple, everyday dish that my husband and son can eat every single day. They love potatoes that much. I am sure every Indian family has their version of this dish.
I followed Hari Ghotra’s recipe that uses big chunks of potatoes with thinly sliced onions with spices. It’s very easy to make and is great to serve with both rice and Roti. Do try out this version of masala potatoes – I’m sure you will love it.
Want more side dish ideas? Check out THESE recipes.
Bombay Aloo: Masala PotatoesPavani Hideout
- 3 Medium Potatoes peeled and chopped in medium size chunks/ cubes
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 8 ~10 curry leaves
- 1 Medium Onion thinly sliced
- 2 ~3 Green Chilies finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Red Chili powder optional
- To taste salt
- Optional step - Steam or microwave the potatoes until fork tender.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add mustard seeds and once they start popping, add the curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds.
- Next add the onions, green chilies and cook till onions are lightly browned around the edges.
- Add the potato cubes, cover and cook till the potatoes are tender, about 12~15 minutes, stirring occasionally. This step would go faster, if the potatoes are pre-cooked.
- Stir in turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin and salt. Sprinkle little water, if the mixture looks too dry. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve with rice or roti.
Hello There!! I am a full time mom and a Food blogger. I am a vegetarian and I share my tried and tested vegetarian dishes in my blog 'Cook's Hideout'.