This Blackberry Oatmeal Cake is great for breakfast with coffee, or as a dessert with maple syrup or a drizzle of cream.
By Bryan Picard
Blackberries; one of the best known wild foods and the tastiest of all berries, in my opinion. These were picked in the yard this morning, and it seems we’ll have a steady supply of them for a few weeks. The most common pairing of blackberries is with apples, but I’ve decided to keep it straight and make a Blackberry Oatmeal Cake, adapting an earlier recipe for Blueberry Banana Bread to serve the purpose. This Blackberry Oatmeal Cake is great for breakfast with coffee or as a dessert with maple syrup and/or a drizzle of cream (both highly recommended).
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups whole white flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup neutral oil
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the oatmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until smooth.
- Add the yogurt, oil, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Gently spoon in the blackberries.
- Pour batter into a buttered 8-9? round pan, top with oatmeal and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until set.