The perfect cold brew for a hot day.
I make this recipe extra-easy by brewing before I go to bed at night in my 4-cup french press and just pressing first thing in the morning. I’ll just go ahead and admit that I buy my coffee pre-ground and it works great. A standard grind is fine, but look for one — or grind yourself — a little on the coarse side of standard. Use a coffee you like, and you may be surprised how much more you like it when you brew this way. I like a strong, small cup, and that’s what this brew yields when served with a generous splash of milk. You can treat it like a concentrate and dilute it with cold filtered water to taste without any loss of quality.
- 80 grams (scant 1 cup) ground coffee
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3½ cups cold filtered water
- Ice cubes
- Milk of choice or additional cold filtered water, to taste
- Into a 4-cup french press, liquid measure or jar, pour the ground coffee, brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour in half the water and stir well. Add remaining water and stir again.
- Let sit at room temperature or in the fridge overnight, then press or strain through cheesecloth or a nut milk bag into a clean container.
- To serve, fill glass with ice and pour in coffee and milk to taste. Dilute with cold filtered water if desired.