Plagued with a bunch of overripe bananas? Make this double chocolate banana bread with melty chocolate chunks.
By Heather Kinnaird
We had a few month stretch where I was hoping for overripe bananas to make banana bread, but I could not keep bananas around long enough. I love banana bread, especially bananas foster bread.…YUM
So I started buying two bunches every time I went to the market, and my family decided that peaches are better for summer. Now I have nothing but overripe bananas on my counter, but that’s okay, because I have an excuse to make double chocolate banana bread.
Do you have a plethora of apples instead? Make this peanut butter and apple bread.
And now that you have this delicious loaf of banana bread, turn it into a decadent dessert and make a chocolate banana bread pudding with caramel sauce.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed well
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of chocolate chunks or chips
- grease and flour the bottom of a loaf pan
- pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder
- mix the bananas with the yogurt, egg, vanilla, and butter
- fold the banana mixture into the dry ingredients, just until combined and then stir in the chocolate chunks
- spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan, and bake about 55 minutes
- cool in the pan 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack
- can be served warm or room temperature