The tart is a dreamy combination of savory cheeses, milk, eggs, onions, bacon and cheddar. The perfect breakfast/brunch dish, or even dinner on a steamy summer evening paired with a crisp salad and a cool glass of Pino Grigio. Cheers to that.
By Michelle Keith
A few tips on caramelizing: low and slow. You don’t want to burn them. Add a little kosher salt at the beginning, to aid in the release of moisture, and soon you’ll have some buttery golden strands of onion goodness.
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 single crust pie shell (pastry)
- Line a 9? tart pan or pie pan with the pie dough.
- Pierce with a fork and bake in a preheated 375 oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside. In a medium skillet over medium low heat, arrange the sliced onions in a single layer with 1 tablespoon of butter. Sprinkle ? teaspoon of Kosher salt over the onions, and cook until soft and golden. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the eggs, bacon, cheeses and milk. Add the onions and mix well. Pour filling into a prebaked pie shell. Reduce oven temperature to 350 and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until set.